HCA’s job application system is temporarily offline for a system upgrade. We hope to have it back up and available some time today. You may still search for jobs, but you will NOT BE ABLE TO APPLY ONLINE.
We apologize for any inconvenience, and we thank you for your patience during this time.
POSITION SUMMARY: Under the direction of the Pathologists and Laboratory Managers and Director, the Clinical Lab Scientist Lead performs, as assigned, all technical, analytical, clerical, and quality assurance tasks and duties associated with laboratory testing. Accepts in-charge duties as assigned. Acts as a resource and educator for other CLSs, other laboratory staff, and hospital personnel. Represents department to accreditation and governmental inspectors.
LICENSE/CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: CA Dept. of Health Svcs. CLS License
Minimum: Ability to multi-task and strong attention to detail. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Good judgment, common sense. Ability to assume initiative for prompt and accurate performance of tests with appropriate documentation and notification of abnormal results. Ability to work under routine and stressful conditions in an accurate and timely manner. 5 years or more experience as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist.
Preferred: 3 years or more experience as a CLS II at Regional Medical Center, lead or supervisory experience in chemistry
Minimum: 4-year College degree in Biological Sciences (BA or BS)
Preferred: Master’s Degree or ASCP Specialist certification
Minimum: Ability to read, write, and converse in English. Strong organizational skills. Advanced math and chemistry/biology knowledge. Practical and current knowledge in all appropriate laboratory disciplines. Basic Phlebotomy skills. Basic computer skills. Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel. Current knowledge of all applicable laboratory regulations (CAP, JCAHO, CLIA, OSHA, etc.). Demonstrates ability to exercise responsible independent judgment, initiative, ability to complete assignments thoroughly without supervision, problem solving capabilities.
Preferred: Additional proficiency in Microsoft Access and other computer programs.
POSITION SUMMARY: With others in the Quality Management department, provides ongoing support to quality of care provided to our patients and families, including, but not limited to: managing projects and activities for Patient Safety, quality improvement, supporting risk management, infection control and medical staff services, peer review, service excellence, accreditation activities and initiative. Provides input and recommendations to the Chief Quality Officer for quality and patient safety projects and initiatives. Exercises discretion, judgment, and decision-making in the interpretation of hospital policies, procedures, protocols and practices as they relate to Quality and Patient Safety initiatives and in accordance with accreditation standards, regulatory requirements, and organizational performance improvement. Manages various data projects and dashboards, such as the quality and Patient Safety Dashboard. Conducts mock tracers. Conducts key audits. Develops audit tools. Presents to Medical Staff Operations Committees. May serve as survey coordinator for accreditation surveys.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND LICENSING:
1. Bachelor’s degree in health care or business-related field; BSN preferred. Master’s in public health or health-related preferred.
2. Current clinical license (RN) required for BSN, MSN candidates.
3. Willingness to become CPHQ certified within one year of hire date.
4. 2 - 5 years of related work experience. Experience in Quality Improvement preferred: understanding of patient safety issue, Joint Commission National Patient Safety Goals, PI project management and knowledge of PI, knowledge of Joint Commission standards, data analysis and reporting, quality improvement skills. Combination of work experience in a hospital and data analysis experience.
5. Ability to lead inter-disciplinary work groups, ability to teach staff.
6. Proficiency in word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint). Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office.
7. Expertise with data analysis and reporting.
8. Ability to manage work load in an organized manner. Ability to appropriately prioritize tasks and manage multiple deadlines.
9. Intermediate project management experience and skills; excellent communication / updates of projects to senior leadership.
10. Ability to work independently as well as be a strong team player / collaboration.
11. Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
12. Excellent critical thinking and problem solving skills.
13. Excellent judgment required.
14. Experience working with physicians and other health care professionals.
15. Ability to teach.
16. Willingness to learn.